The Commission Mandate
Terms of Reference
- The Commission of Inquiry appointed pursuant to the Order
will have the responsibility to inquire into and report on and make findings and make
findings and recommendations with respect to any and all aspects of the following matters:
- the circumstances that led to the current contamination of
the public water supply of the City of North Battleford;
- the adequacy and effectiveness of the actions taken by
officials of the Government of Saskatchewan, the Battlefords District Health Board and the
City of North Battleford leading up to and in response to the discovery of the
contamination of the public water supply in the City of North Battleford;
- the effect, if any, of the regulations, bylaws, policies,
guidelines, procedures and practices of or applicable to the Government of Saskatchewan,
the Battlefords District Health Board and the City of North Battleford on the events
referred to in (a) and (b);
- any other relevant matters that the Commission considers
necessary to determine that the City of North Battlefords public drinking water is
safe in the future.
- The Commission shall perform its duties without expressing
any legal conclusion or recommendation regarding the civil or criminal responsibility of
any person or organization.
- The Commission shall complete its inquiry and deliver its
final report, comments, findings, conclusions and recommendations to the Minister of
Justice by March 31, 2002. The Commission may give the Minister of Justice such interim
reports as it considers appropriate to address urgent matters in a timely fashion. Each
report must be in a form appropriate for release to the public, subject to the Freedom
of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and other laws.
- The Commission shall hold public hearings but may hold some
proceedings in camera where it is the opinion of the Commission that it is
necessary to do so.
- The Commission shall determine applications by those
parties, if any, or those witnesses, if any, to the public inquiry that apply to the
Commission to have their legal counsel paid for by the Commission and further determine at
what rate such counsel shall be paid for their services.
- The Commission may set such rules of practice and procedure
for the conduct of its duties as it deems appropriate.
TOP OF PAGE
C o p y r i g h t © 2003 THE
NORTH BATTLEFORD WATER INQUIRY