IMPORTANT: The Consumer Protection Division web pages have been moved. For the latest information and updates, please go to http://www.fcaa.gov.sk.ca/cpd.
For the latest information about The Collection Agents Act, go to: http://fcaa.gov.sk.ca/CollectionAgents
The Collection Agents Act controls the practices of collection agents and collectors and requires them to be licensed and bonded. An agency that practices prohibited methods of debt collection can have its license suspended or cancelled, and may have its bond forfeited to pay persons who suffered a financial loss.
The Act also controls the methods used by collection agents and collectors to collect debts. They cannot:
- collect or try to collect more than is owed or add additional fees or expenses to the debt;
- demand payment without giving the name of the creditor, the balance owed and the identity and authority of the person making the demand;
- harass the debtor, his or her family and household;
- call before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m. or on Sundays or holidays (Holiday means Sunday, New Year's Day, Family Day, Good Friday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Saskatchewan Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day and Boxing Day, and when one of those dates, other than Remembrance Day or Boxing Day, falls on a Sunday, it includes the following day);
- make a call by a method for which the debtor would incur costs;
- give any person false or misleading information that may be detrimental to a debtor or a debtor's family;
- contact a debtor's employer, except to verify the debtor's employment or in respect of payments under a wage assignment or a court order; or
- send the debtor documents that appear to be court documents.
For more information, contact:
Consumer Protection Division
Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority
Suite 500, 1919 Saskatchewan Dr.
Regina, SK S4P 4H2
Phone: (306) 787-5550 Fax: (306) 787-9779
Email inquiries will be responded to via email. If the sender does not wish a reply in this fashion, please indicate such in your message.