- To provide for the best interest of the child in family disputes.
- To provide an integrated approach to family law disputes.
- To ensure access to justice for parties involved in marriage breakdown and family disputes by offering alternatives that reduce costs and the length of time until resolution.
- To provide support services to people involved in family law disputes.
- To increase the people's understanding of the issues by providing information about the available options for resolution, legal issues, child support, custody and parenting.
- To promote consensual conflict resolution methods that lead to long-lasting resolution of issues.
- To provide objective and useful reports of custody and access issues for court assessment that lead to case resolution.
- To ensure protection and safety for children while providing the benefit of contact with both parents by supervising access with non-custodial parents in specific cases.
- To reduce the number of family matters that return to the court for adjudication or variation.
- To promote a specialization of family law issues within the judiciary and court support staff.