Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
Saturday, July 04, 2015
Saskatchewan Justice

Requesting Repairs and Solving Problems in Residential Tenancies

Good communication solves problems.  Make sure you have tried polite explanations of the problem and what you would like done. Whether you are a landlord or a tenant, good communication is always the first step in solving problems.

Landlords have to maintain rental premises in a good state of repair and fit for habitation.  Tenants must repair damages that they cause through their actions or neglect.  Whether you are a landlord or a tenant, you may have to request repairs.  Hopefully, your request is all that is needed to get the work done.

If you have asked without success, you should make your requests in writing.  Keep a copy as a record of your request.

List each item you need fixed.  For each item, give a date that provides a reasonable opportunity to complete that task.  Be reasonable in responding to requests for more time. If the work gets done, the problem is solved.  If not, you may have to apply for a remedy.

Tenant Remedies

A tenant may not withhold rent to get things done.  Unpaid rent is a basis for eviction.  If you are a tenant, and you can’t get the landlord to address problems, you may apply to the Office of Residential Tenancies for an order that may direct the landlord to:

  • make repairs, 
  • compensate you for loss or inconvenience, 
  • reduce the rent until problems are fixed or services provided, 
  • do something else that is just and equitable in the circumstances.

Landlord Remedies

If a tenant does not complete repairs within a reasonable time after a written request from the landlord, the landlord may also apply for an order directing the tenant to make repairs or to compensate the landlord for the cost of repairs.  Landlords may also give the tenant a notice to vacate in Form 8, using wording like “failure to repair  [describe repairs]  within a reasonable time after a written request to do so given on  [date] .” as the reason for the eviction.  If the tenant disputes the notice, you have to follow the procedures to apply for an order for possession.

© 2015 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.