Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
Monday, September 22, 2014
Saskatchewan Justice

Victims Services grants compensation to victims for reasonable expenses resulting from criminal acts of personal violence, such as physical and/or sexual assault, murder, robbery and kidnapping. It does not cover expenses related to property crimes.

You may be eligible for compensation if:

  • the crime occurred in Saskatchewan;
  • you report the crime to the police;
  • the harm is the result of a Criminal Code offence listed in the Victims of Crime Regulations, including personal violence such as robbery, sex crimes, assault causing bodily harm, manslaughter, murder, attempted murder and kidnapping; and
  • you apply for compensation within two years from the date of injury, or in the case of sexual assault, within two years from the date the offence was reported to police.


If you are the victim of a criminal act of personal violence, you must first report the crime to the police. The next step is to fill out a Victims Compensation Program application form. If you are the family member of a murder victim, you may fill out the Secondary Victims application form. Both forms are also available from:

  • municipal police services or RCMP
  • police-affiliated victims services
  • victim/witness services
  • community-based specialized programs or
  • Saskatchewan Justice, Victims Services


You do not need a lawyer to apply. Applications will be accepted up to two years after the crime has been committed. In cases as sexual assault, you may apply up to two years after the date of the offence was reported to the police.

You can be compensated for reasonable expenses including:

  • certain medical costs (such as ambulance and prescriptions not covered by another plan and dental, chiropractic and eye glass costs);
  • counselling, including traditional Aboriginal healing methods, while you are involved in the criminal justice system;
  • funeral expenses to a maximum of $3,500 where not covered by other programs;
  • loss of income where it is not covered by Employment Insurance, Workers' Compensation or an insurance plan; and
  • clothing damaged as a result of the crime.


Compensation is not available for pain and suffering, personal property damage or legal fees.

© 2014 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.