Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
Saturday, June 25, 2016
Saskatchewan Justice
What happens if I don't have a will?

If there is no will, the closest relative is entitled to administer the estate. The Public Guardian and Trustee of Saskatchewan Justice is a place of last resort and becomes involved in administering estates when there is no next of kin, the next of kin does not want to act or the family is in dispute over who should administer the estate.

What does the Public Guardian and Trustee do?

The Public Guardian and Trustee will investigate to determine the assets. The Office searches for information about the relatives of the deceased to determine who the beneficiaries may be. A detailed inventory of all assets is prepared.

Income tax returns are filed and income tax is paid. Funeral expenses and debts are paid. The balance of the estate is distributed to the beneficiaries.

© 2016 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.