Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
Sunday, February 14, 2016
Saskatchewan Justice

How do you change your name?

If you want to legally change your name, or the name of your spouse or child, you must apply under The Change of Name Act, 1995. Application forms for a change of name can be obtained by contacting the Vital Statistics Registry, eHealth Saskatchewan.

Who can change their name?

To legally change your name you must:

  • be at least 18 years old. If you are younger than 18, you can still change your name if you are married, widowed, divorced, or cohabiting or have cohabited in a spousal relationship;
  • be a resident of Saskatchewan;
  • have lived in Saskatchewan for at least 3 consecutive months in the 12-month period before the date you apply; and
  • be legally entitled to remain in Canada.

What information is required for the application?

As part of the change of name application, you will be asked to provide other documents to establish your eligibility or the eligibility of every person whose name appears on the application, such as:

  • proof of age (usually an official or certified birth certificate);
  • proof of residency (usually your Saskatchewan health services card);
  • a marriage certificate if you are married or a death certificate if you are widowed; or
  • the consent of your spouse if his or her name will be affected by the application.

You will also need to complete an affidavit and sign it before a Notary Public, Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Oaths in and for Saskatchewan declaring that the statements made in the application for change of name are true.


Where a change of name application is for a person aged 15 years or older accepted by the Registrar of Vital Statistics, the change of name must be advertised in the Saskatchewan Gazette. There is a fee for applying to change your name and for advertising the change of name.

© 2016 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.